Get Help

In an emergency call 000

How to get help

Do you or a friend/family need help with alcohol or other drug related issues?

If so, this page may be useful. It contains information on how to get help for yourself or a loved one experiencing alcohol and other drug issues.

A range of government funded and private providers offer treatment for alcohol and other drug problems.  Treatments range from counselling, withdrawal services, treatment for different groups such as young people and aboriginal people, residential rehabilitation and pharmacotherapy services, for example methadone.  Government funded treatment services are generally free or have reduced costs.  Private treatment providers will charge fees for treatment.  In some cases, these fees can be very expensive.  Some private providers may also be unregulated by special standards, unlike government funded services. VAADA supports and represents government funded treatment services.


Accessing Government funded treatment services

Step 1:

Directline is a 24-hour phone service which can provide information on treatment services and is a good place to start, especially if you are unfamiliar with alcohol and other drug treatment services.

Contact Directline on 1800 888 236

Directline will be able to advise you on the government funded services available within your region. Each region contains its own intake and assessment services (the front door for treatment services) as well as a range of other treatment services.

You can also find your local service provider through Directline’s website

Step 2:

To access government funded treatment services, you will need to engage in an intake process.

You will need to contact your local catchment-based intake provider which can be found here

Your intake worker will discuss your current needs and situation most likely over the phone.

After you have completed the initial intake, you will either be given an assessment appointment or provided with other options for help.


Additional help

Family Drug and Gambling Help is a program that provides practical help, information and support to families and friends affected by someone’s drinking, drug use or gambling.

Contact Family Drug and Gambling Help on 1300 660 068

Family Drug Support (FDS) is primarily made up of volunteers who have experienced firsthand the trauma and chaos of having family members with drug dependency

Contact FDS on 1300 368 186

Safe Steps is Victoria’s 24/7 family violence support service and assists women and children experiencing family violence through a 24/7 phone line and specialist support services.

Contact Safe Steps on 1800 015 188

No to Violence (NTV) is the largest peak body in Australia representing organisations and individuals working with men to end family violence.  They provide telephone counselling, information and referrals. The NTV Men’s Referral Service is open 24/7 for assistance.

Contact the Men’s Referral Service on 1300 766 491

Lifeline is a national charity providing all Australians experiencing a personal crisis with access to 24 hour crisis support and suicide prevention services.

Contact Lifeline on 13 11 14

Harm Reduction Victoria (HRVic) provides education, practical support, information and advocacy to current and past users of illicit drugs, their friends, and allies.

Contact HRV on 1800 443 844

Pharmacotherapy Advocacy Mediation Support (P.A.M.S) PAMS is a state-wide telephone service run by Harm Reduction Victoria (HRVic) and funded by the Victorian Department of Health.

They provide telephone-based information, support, advocacy, referral and mediation for opiate pharmacotherapy consumers and their direct service providers on any pharmacotherapy client related issue in Victoria.

Contact P.A.M.S on 1800 443 844

Victorian Needle and Syringe Program (NSP) is a public health initiative that aims to minimise the spread of blood-borne viruses such as human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and hepatitis B and C among people who inject drugs and into the wider community.

A list of NSP locations can be found here

For information on safe retrieval and disposal of needles and syringes and contact details of NSP providers, contact 1300 365 482