Substance Use and Mental Illness Treatment Team (SUMITT)
- Full-time position
- Located in Pascoe Vale
- Rare opportunity for two experienced Senior Dual Diagnosis Clinicians to join an inspirational team making life-altering differences
This is a multidisciplinary role and is open to Registered Psychiatric Nurses, Occupational Therapists, Social Workers and Psychologists.
Life With Us:
- SUMITT are a caring, supportive and driven multi-disciplinary team who will welcome you and value your expertise and contributions as a Senior Dual Diagnosis Clinician.
- Be a part of a specialist program of NorthWestern Mental Health (NWMH), providing high quality primary, secondary and tertiary consultations and clinical mental health and youth homelessness services
- Life with our team involves helping people with mental illness and substance abuse/ addiction in north-western metropolitan Melbourne.
Your new role:
- Assessing and providing integrated interventions to people with mental illness and substance use or addiction.
- Developing and working in partnership with Alcohol and Other Drug services in North-Western metropolitan Melbourne.
- Providing secondary consultations on dual diagnosis related matters to clinical mental health, alcohol and other drug and youth homelessness staff.
- Engaging and maintaining relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Providing educational sessions to stakeholder staff.
- A tertiary qualification in Psychology, Social Work, Occupational Therapy or Psychiatric Nursing.
- 7 years’ experience in clinical mental health and/or alcohol and other drug services.
- Capacity to undertake direct clinical duties including assessment, treatment planning, brief intervention and shared case management of dual diagnosis clients.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal).
- Proven ability to initiate, problem solve, negotiate and communicate with staff, consumers, carers and other service providers.
- Ability to foster and maintain relationships with external stakeholders.
Benefit of working with NorthWestern Mental Health:
- Values based organisation offering great prospects for career diversity and professional advancement.
- Sophisticated learning structure and we pride ourselves on supporting continuing professional development.
The RMH is proud to be a workplace that champions diversity, inclusion and equality for our staff and our community. Our goal is for our people to feel safe, included and supported so that they can be at their best every single day. We encourage talented people from all backgrounds, abilities and identities to apply to our vacancies, and will consider adjustments to support such applications.
If you are looking for a challenging role and can demonstrate the above capabilities, connect with us.
For a confidential discussion please connect via the details below.
All appointments are made subject to a satisfactory Criminal History Record Check and a Working with Children Check
Successful applicants will be required to provide evidence of an immunisation assessment and COVID-19 Vaccination prior to commencement.
Key Selection Criteria
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
• Occupational Therapists
Registration under the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation National Law Act (2009) with the Occupational
Therapy Board of Australia.
An approved Degree from a recognised school of Occupational Therapy or other qualifications approved for
eligibility for membership of the Australian Association of Occupational Therapy (Vic.).
Registration as a Psychologist under the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation National Law Act (2009)
with practice endorsement as a Clinical, Forensic or Clinical Neuro Psychologist with the Psychology Board of
Australia (or eligibility to enter a registrar program as a clinical, forensic or clinical neuro psychologist with the
Psychology Board of Australia where relevant).
• Registered Psychiatric Nurses:
Registration as a registered nurse under the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation National Law Act (2009)
with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia.
Bachelor Degree in Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing or equivalent, or, Bachelor Degree in Nursing plus a
Postgraduate qualification in Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing.
• Social Workers
An approved degree in Social Work and eligibility for membership of the Australian Association of Social
• Commitment to live the Melbourne Way - putting people first, leading with kindness and achieving
• A tertiary qualification in Psychology, Social Work, Occupational Therapy or Psychiatric Nursing
• A minimum of 7 years’ experience in clinical mental health and/or alcohol and other drug services for Social
Workers and Occupational Therapists
• At least 5 years professional experience for Psychologists and Registered Psychiatric Nurses
• Capacity to undertake direct clinical duties including assessment, treatment planning, brief intervention and
shared case management of dual diagnosis clients
• Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with people and their families, and capacity to deal with the
range of co-morbidity and complexity inherent in these people.
• Capacity to develop effective working relationships, collaborations and partnerships with a range of services
within the broader community service system
• Demonstrated experience at a senior clinician/clinical coordinator or clinical experience within an
autonomous senior clinician role
• Ability to develop and deliver training
• Aptitude to contribute to the development of policies and quality improvement activities for stakeholder
• Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
• Proven ability to initiate, problem solve, negotiate and communicate with staff, consumers, carers and other
• Demonstrated willingness and ability to address consumer and carer concerns and to work with people from
a range of ethnic backgrounds
• Well-developed knowledge and understanding of the public mental health service environment, the Mental
Health Act and other relevant legislation, policies and strategic directions
• Ability to foster and maintain relationships with external stakeholders
• Solid understanding of, and adherence to, confidentiality within a health care environment
• Strong time management in workload priorities, coordinating tasks and working to deadlines
• A current driver’s license
• Capable and confident to undertake portfolio specialist responsibilities as determined
• Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional development
• Ability to undertake any other tasks commensurate with this classification, the role statement and outcomes