First Step: The Organisation
First Step is an addiction & mental health outpatient clinic that has been operating in the City of Port Phillip for over 18 years. Our whole-of-person treatment philosophy seeks to support clients in as many areas of their lives as possible including their physical, mental and social wellbeing. We strive to be highly accessible, providing services free of charge and without referral for our cohort, many of whom have highly complex histories that may include out of home care, early school leaving, abuse and neglect.
The First Step family of practitioners extends to GPs, hepatitis C specialists, mental health nurses, drug and alcohol workers, psychologists, care coordinators, caseworkers, educators and psychiatrists. Uniquely, we also boast a fully integrated pro-bono legal clinic for clients engaged in treatment at First Step.
First Step is committed to the philosophy of harm minimisation and is excited to include a treatment modality that caters to those ready to extend their treatment goals.
At First Step we believe that everybody deserves every chance to turn their lives around.
Primary Therapist: The Opportunity
First Step is looking for an exceptional individual to join a new team in the delivery of the Reset Life program.
This new program will offer the opportunity to add an extra treatment modality to your portfolio. The right person will have an attitude of unconditional positive regard for both co-workers and clients, an open mind and a willingness to ‘go the extra mile.’ You will be excited to develop new skills and inspired by the opportunity to deliver new treatment option to clients. Most importantly you will thrive on working in a highly collaborative setting.
This is a rare opportunity for the right individual to work alongside and learn from the highly experienced addiction medicine practitioners of First Step that includes: doctors, mental health nurses, psychologists, psychiatrists, caseworkers and lawyers among others.
- Certificate IV in AOD or have completed the required competencies
Skills and Experience
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in the delivery of clinical interventions (CBT, Motivational Interviewing, Motivational Enhancement Therapy, etc) with people and families experiencing complex alcohol and other drugs use
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of the physiology of addiction
- Advanced group facilitation skills
- Proven ability to effectively work with people and families experiencing problematic alcohol and other drugs use in a respectful, compassionate and positive manner
*Relevant Tertiary qualifications desired but not essential.
Please note: It is mandatory for the successful applicant to hold a current Working with Children Check and be prepared to undergo a National Criminal History Check prior to commencement
For full Position Description, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org (or see attached).
Key Selection Criteria
Key Selection Criteria:
- Outline your qualifications and experience in Drug and Alcohol treatment (refer Position Description)
- Outline your qualifications and experience of psychological therapies (refer Position Description)
- Compare and contrast your values with those of First Step (as you understand them to be)
- Articulate your ability to collaborate within a multidisciplinary team. Describe your ability to move between different treatment modalities (addiction medicine).
- Describe your willingness and ability to adhere to a prescribed treatment program while treating all individuals with dignity and compassion.
- Outline your recent or ongoing professional development goals
Full-time, contract role
Competitive Salary Sacrifice options apply
Applications should be emailed as follows:
REF: RSL/Primary Therapist
Note: First Step is an independent not-for-profit organisation that provides a safe and nurturing work environment for people of all backgrounds, genders, religions, sexualities, ethnicities or any other factor.