Peer Worker AOD
Turning Point Addiction Medicine Units, Box Hill
Permanent Part Time
Eastern Health is one of Melbourne’s largest public health services. We provide a comprehensive range of high quality acute, sub-acute, palliative care, mental health, drug and alcohol, residential care and community health services to people and communities that are diverse in culture, age, socio-economic status, population and healthcare needs.
Drawing on your lived experience you will work to engage with people who are accessing AOD treatment within Turning Point Addiction Medicine Unit (Wellington House and Ward 1 East) in Box Hill. You will engender hope and nurture recovery oriented thinking and behaviour, providing individual, group interventions and harm minimisation education. You will have an understanding of the AOD treatment system, as well as other complimentary supports - to provide holistic care that keeps clients engaged and safe. You will enjoy the support of a collaborative working environment, benefiting from a highly skilled, multi discipline team that provide a full suite of AOD treatments. Training and support will be provided to the successful applicant.
To be successful in this role you should possess:
- Lived experience of drug and alcohol related harm and be confident in their own recovery
- Willingness to undertake training in the Intentional Peer Support Model and Care & Recovery Coordination treatments
- Knowledge/familiarity of the AOD sector, other community supports, and an understanding of client rights.
- Demonstrate the ability to work effectively in a wide range of settings with people from diverse backgrounds, including clients and co-workers.
- Candidates should be comfortable working either one-on-one or in group settings, must possess excellent interpersonal skills and able to adapt to changing situations.
- Active involvement in the community and a willingness to collaborate with others is required.
- Candidates should possess excellent communication skills.
- Ability to undertake public speaking and facilitation of group workshops or activities.
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in the provision of peer support for people who have AOD issues/dual diagnosis and related complex health and wellbeing issues.
- Ability to work collaboratively and in partnership with internal and external service providers.
- Ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary team
- Ability to use computer software for administrative purposes and to record client notes.
- Understanding of the disparity in health outcomes for people with addiction issues
- Motivational Interviewing knowledge and skills (desirable)
- A Victorian Drivers licence is required.
Eastern Health offers a variety of fantastic Employee Benefits, view the extensive range here!
The benefits of working for Eastern Health include:
- Diverse and engaging career opportunities
- Friendly & supportive team
- Flexible working hours
- Salary packaging options
If you have the ability and drive to make a difference take hold of this opportunity and apply today!
For full details refer to the attached Position Description and direct all enquiries to the contact person listed.
All appointments are made subject to a satisfactory police records check.
You must have the right to permanently live and work in Australia to apply for this job.
Please submit all applications online.
Recruitment agency applications will not be accepted.
Eastern Health Values: Patients First: Agility: Humility: Respect: Kindness: Excellence