Centre Based Alcohol & Other Drugs Counsellor
0.6 EFT – Fixed Term Role
Job Reference No: VAC0602
- Positive team culture
- 2 types of Salary Packaging Available
- Diverse Professional Development Opportunities
An exciting opportunity exists for a dynamic and holistic counsellor to work in our Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD) program. The Star Health AOD Services provides treatment to a continuum of clients including but not limited to self-referred clients, family members and significant others, people referred by the criminal justice system and individuals experiencing a diverse range of health, social and economic issues seeking information and treatment.
To be suitable for the role you will possess the following:
- A professional qualification in Social Work, Psychology, Counselling or Occupational Therapy.
- Demonstrated experience and skill in the provision of therapeutic interventions such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, Acceptance Commitment Therapy, Narrative Therapy; risk assessment and management, and treatment planning.
- Demonstrated understanding of therapeutic approaches in counselling and matching stages of treatment to stages of change.
- Understanding of harm minimisation including harm reduction.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills.
- Sound organisational, analytical and time management skills.
- A positive and proactive team-oriented attitude.
Who We Are
Star Health works in partnership with people and communities to promote and improve equity, health and wellbeing by delivering innovative client-directed services that take into account the context of the individual and the community, and championing prevention and change to address the structural reasons for health inequity.
Applicants must address the key selection criteria within the covering letter and complete our application form directly via our website http://www.starhealth.org.au/careers/current-vacancies/
For further information about the role, please contact Silvia Violante on 03 9525 1300 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Key Selection Criteria
- Demonstrated experience in counselling and understanding of a broad range of therapeutic approaches and their application.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a wide range of clients and complexities including but not limited to homelessness, co-occurring mental health and/or ABI, family violence, social and cultural barriers and chronic physical health issues.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles of harm minimisation and philosophies underpinning community and family health.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Alcohol and Other Drugs Sector and complementary sectors such as but not limited to Community and Clinical Mental Health, Family Violence and Child and Family Support Services.
- Demonstrated high level interpersonal, communication and consultation skills and the ability to effectively engage with a broad range of clients/community members and stakeholders internal and external.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and the ability to assess risk and respond in an effective, timely and professional manner that is representative of the organisations values and core principles.
- Excellent written and oral skills, including demonstrated ability to write and present community education and group programs.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team.
Sound understanding of and commitment to the Social Model of Health.