Why this role matters
The Geelong Withdrawal Unit (GWU) provides a residential medicated withdrawal service for those who are seeking to recover from alcohol and other drugs issues. Clients reside in the Unit during their episode of care and are provided with all meals and facilities. Clients can remain in the programme for a further 21 days (Stage 2) post their medicated withdrawal (Stage 1) to stabilise and plan for their recovery post discharge.
The role you could play
We have an exciting opportunity for a motivated Nurse Practitioner to undertake an ongoing position to provide clinical expertise, treatment support and secondary consultation to clients and staff at the Geelong Withdrawal Unit. As the Nurse Practitioner you will support the Clinical Intake Coordinator, Nurse Team Leader and Service Manager to meet occupancy targets, through supporting with admissions, medical assessments and reviews and medication prescribing.
- Providing clinical expertise and secondary consultations on AOD, mental health and dual-diagnosis related matters to clinical and non-clinical staff within Barwon AOD & MH Services
- Engaging and maintaining relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
- Provide educational sessions to staff
- Direct clinical duties including assessment, treatment planning, intake/admission, and shared case management of clients
- Support Barwon AOD & MH and AOD Victoria Senior Leadership team to identify risks, particularly aligned to clinical practice, and support activities to mitigate these
- Support the delivery of clinical services such as patient health assessments and health management plans in partnership with existing GP, nursing, and other clinical staff and in line with professional nursing standards and scope of practice
- Lead innovative improvements to service delivery based on data analysis, emerging trends, and client needs.
This is a maximum term (12 months) part time position, 22.8 hours per week, based at our Geelong Withdrawal Unit in Corio, VIC. Salary and conditions are in accordance with Nurses Award, Nurse Practitioner plus an over award amount.
The ideal candidate will have
- DIV 1 RN with current APHRA registration
- Master of Nursing (Nurse Practitioner) or endorsement by NMBA
- Ability to maintain CPD points as required by AHPRA
- Experience and competency in AOD and/ or Mental Health and willingness to complete PD if required
- Experience in developing and reviewing AOD / withdrawal related medications charts
- Strong understanding of the health and AOD harm reduction needs of people who use drugs, people who are experiencing homelessness, people who engage in street-based sex work or people experiencing discrimination, stigma or issues accessing health services due to other reasons.
- Excellent organisation and administrative skills with capacity to balance workload and determine priorities while also addressing the needs of a high volume, often crisis orientated environment.
- Demonstrated experience in the leadership of staff with strong verbal and communication skills
- Capability to provide on-call support as part of a roster
- Current VIC Drivers Licence
As a Nurse Practitioner at the Salvos, you will enjoy
- We offer our eligible employees NFP salary packaging ($15,900 tax free) plus meals and entertainment benefits
- Employee Assistance Program - Independent confidential counselling service
- Financial, retail and lifestyle discounts and benefits
- Discounted health and fitness programs through Fitness Passport
- Up to 8 weeks leave per year through our purchase leave scheme
- Generous Parental Leave offering of 12 weeks
- Up to 5 days paid leave per year to support a TSA program or activity
- An inclusive culture of dedicated, passionate, and professional team members
- Positively supporting and impacting the lives of others through your career contribution
To learn more, contact
Maree Lavecchia at email@example.com
Applications will close as soon as a suitable candidate is secured. Do not delay in submitting your application today!