Position Title: Policy and Media Officer
Responsible to: VAADA Executive Officer
Employment Basis: 1.0 FTE ongoing
About this position:
The Victorian Alcohol and Drug Association (VAADA) is a non-government peak organisation for Victorian alcohol and other drug (AOD) services. VAADA aims to support and promote strategies that prevent and reduce the harms associated with AOD use across the Victorian community. Further, VAADA aims to ensure that the issues for people experiencing the harms associated with substance use and the organisations that support them are well represented in policy, program development, and public discussion. Central to achieving these aims is a strong media and policy presence.
VAADA is seeking a self-motivated and highly organised individual to coordinate the peak body’s policy, advocacy and media activity in line with VAADA’s purpose and strategic objectives. In particular, this position aligns with the policy and advocacy strategic objective, which aims to increase influence and leadership in the AOD sector.
Working directly to the Executive Officer (EO), but in close consultation with other VAADA staff, this role draws on a variety of knowledge sources, information, evidence, data, and member feedback to develop and assist the EO to deliver a coordinated approach to media, advocacy and policy in the Victorian AOD sector.
VAADA is seeking and individual with sound research, communication and analytic skills, especially writing. You will have a good understanding of AOD issues, and experience and understanding of the media – ideally in a social services context. You will also have a history of liaising effectively with a range of stakeholders in a representational role with a relevant tertiary qualification and/ or professional experience suited to this position.
Salary: Salary & conditions of service will be in accordance with the contractual arrangements and package determined by the VAADA Management. Salary in the range of $70,000 -$85,000 (depending on skills and experience, per annum pro rata, plus super and salary packaging options).
All applications are to be made in writing and include a cover letter, CV/resume and responses to the selection criteria (no more than half a page per item).
VAADA will acknowledge receipt of all applications.
Key Selection Criteria
- Research and analytical skills – capacity to research, analyse complex issues and develop policy and position papers
- Experience and understanding of the media and media management
- Sound understanding of AOD issues and related policy
- Relevant tertiary qualifications and/or professional experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including report writing skills
- Experience in liaising effectively with a range of individuals and organisations and in representational role in a range of settings
- Experience in planning and managing meetings, forums and consultations
- Well-developed IT skills particularly in using Microsoft Office, websites, databases and online surveys
- Understanding of peak organisations and their role in the government process
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a small team environment.
- Willingness and ability to travel within Victoria
- Hold a current driver’s license.