The Bouverie Centre presents ‘ Parenting Plus: Supporting parents with Adolescent Substance Misuse’
September 27 - September 28
This two-day workshop introduces practitioners to an approach aimed at assisting families and significant others who are coping with substance use issues in their children. The approach enables practitioners to support parents and significant others and build their capacity to respond to the problem of substance use.
The evidence based intervention promotes:
- reduction of parental stress, anxiety and guilt,
- increase in confidence to respond to their children,
- parenting consistency, and
- knowledge of substances, their effects and treatment options.
The workshop will cover theoretical frameworks, skills, principles, and techniques, and will incorporate supported experiential practice.
Participants are also invited to attend group supervision sessions to support implementation of the model within their service context.
- Understand the difficulties faced by parents and families when coping with substance use behaviour in adolescents.
- Develop knowledge in how, when and where to intervene at various stages of their work with parents.
- Enhance counselling skills to engage parents and adolescents in treatment.
- Apply a framework by which parents and significant others can address the issues associated with substance use and related behaviours.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the Parenting Plus intervention
Who Should Attend
Youth AOD workers; Practitioners working with parents or significant others who are seeking assistance with the substance use of someone in their care.
Presenters Dr. John Bamberg & Dr. Jacqui Sundbery
Time 9:30am – 4:30pm
Cost 2017 price – 2 day $410.00(GST NA)