Building capacity for alcohol and drug and mental health services
The (Australian) Department of Health, (formerly Department of Health and Ageing) funded 27 Victorian alcohol and other drug (AOD) agencies to build organisational capacity to better identify and treat people who experience co-occurring (or comorbid) substance misuse and associated health issues such as mental illness.
The Department of Health has also funded VAADA, to support Substance Misuse Service Delivery Grants Fund (‘the Fund’) recipients, the broader Victorian AOD sector, and other sectors where relevant in addressing comorbidity.
The Fund’s primary objective is to better promote and support drug and alcohol treatment services across Australia to build capacity and to effectively identify and treat co-occurring mental illness and substance misuse. The Fund aims to improve the health and social outcomes of those Australians with substance use issues including, aiding recovery and reducing homelessness or the risk of homelessness.
VAADA supports funded treatment services in Victoria to build linkages and strategic partnerships and undertake organisational change to better meet the needs of clients experiencing comorbidity.
Alcohol and drug bodies in all states and territories of Australia have been funded for three years (2012-2015) to undertake this work.
Find out more about the Fund here.
Capacity building projects in Victoria
- Anglicare Victoria
- Association of Participating Service Users at Self Help Addiction Resource Centre (SHARC)
- Banyule Community Health
- BAYSA Ltd (trading as Barwon Youth)
- Bendigo Community Health Services Ltd
- CatholicCare Archdiocese of Melbourne (CatholicCare)
- Eastern Health (Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre)
- Gateway Community Health
- Grampians Community Health
- Inner South Community Health Service Ltd
- ISIS Primary Care Service
- Jesuit Social Services Ltd
- Knox Community Health Service Ltd
- MonashLink Community Health Service Ltd
- Northern District Community Health Service
- Odyssey House Victoria
- Peninsula Health
- Southern Health (South East Alcohol and Drug Service – SEADS)
- Sunbury Community Health Centre
- Taskforce Community Agency
- The Australian Community Support Organisation Inc (ACSO)
- Uniting Care Ballarat Parish Mission
- Victorian AIDS Council/Gay Men’s Health Centre (VAC/GMHC)
- Western Region Alcohol and Drug Centre
- Youth Projects Ltd
- Youth Support and Advocacy Service (YSAS)
- Victorian Alcohol and Drug Association Inc (VAADA)
More information about VAADA’s role in the SMSDGF
Jane Moreton, Project Coordinator
Phone: (03) 9412 5608